Tuesday, January 27, 2009

old, gray lady. bury it already.

I'm getting a bit annoyed by all the prattle (thanks for the word, Romalyn) over the demise of the nytimes, and the printed news in general.

Here's the doomsayers (shortlist, just today): An article in The Atlantic (with little to no actual insight) and a quasi-conversation on bat segundo (ostensibly over a conversation on the nature of snark, another topic completely) both talked about it, and I personally think its impending funeral is the reason behind the Noir City theme this year (not today). I mean, seriously, who starts a film festival with a movie about a sold-and-soon-to-be-shuttered newspaper and says it isn't the reason?

So I'm getting tired of it. Yes, it's bad. And yes, it will probably lead to a loss of some sort of collective national intelligence, but its general demise is overblown. it will have to change its delivery model and go through lean times, but, well, something will adapt. The market is still there. Whatever, I'm prattling, and apparently not up to my regular ranting quality.

So attached to this profile is an unfortunate abortion of a blog I previously tried about three years ago. I was trying to make do with late hours, and just got drunk and incomprehensible. As if that's a surprise.

And since this blog is somewhat new, I'm not sure if I'm digging the upholstery. I might have to change this.

No comments:

Post a Comment