Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Subjects, or the Mailbag

1. Crazy girls gone wilder. [Ed. note: The writer of this blog does not condone the exploitation of the mentally disaffected, nor should they be used in a suggested reboot of a once-ballyhooed reality series "Survivor: Lizzie Borden All-Stars."]

2. Scare people with your tool today. [Ed. note: The assumption and accusation that he in any way resembles Michael Myers or O.J. Simpson or Freddie Kreuger or Leatherface, et al., is a complete fabrication and should respectfully be struck wholely and completely from the public record.]

3. She will surely pounce on you. [Ed. note: The writer loves letters from the SPCA, owing to the warm fuzzy he receives from the usually included photo kittens: one tuxedo and one russian blue.]

4. Singer-Songwriter Competition, Win Your Transaction and More. [Ed. note: This was immediately deleted due to the likelihood that the content would be of an adult nature.]

* * *

My first lost post. I had started it around Labor Day, today I let it go. Read it, but understand it's not complete. 

The theme: Aspirations. 
The setting: The Berkshires, Labor Day weekend. 
Where I lost it: the aspiration to not exist. 
Is it safe for work?: Yes.

Tangent: In which the writer tries to draw a parallel between the works of Sol LeWitt and John Cage. The term aleatoric is mentioned (quite a bit). The loss of identity, the abnegation of identity, the hubris brought about by the fact the artist might have touched or otherwise been involved with the piece of art is questioned - and those particular concepts of identity, post-human and post-artist - are brought up. The idea that post-art - as wrought by conceptual art - is the world of design (which we're in) and marketing campaigns (which we're also in) is also broached. The notion that these are wrong for the ongoing continuation of the human species is included. That we abnegate, allow others to make our sense of taste; that we deny the glory of ugh anger love beauty. That's in the piece. That we're in the new Dark Ages. Not as much (but it's hinted at oh so slightly).

Summary: Geof is an abnegation; we are in the dark ages; go fetch your zombie hat before you die. And Cormac McCarthy was right

Or something like that.

* * * 

Did I mention I saw Drive last week? So exciting. Although to be fair and granted, the film had its problems all up and down the map (map read as the Character of Ryan Gosling's the driver), but as a noir flick it was immaculately shot and needs to be seen on a big screen. When given a full character, the performances were tight. 


The end.
Or Fin.
Or...

8 comments:

  1. Have you watched American Horror Show? It has a lovely Twin Peaks feel to it, and I may say it is darker.
    I'm feeling stoned right now without the aid of chemicals, and the first section of your post would have me laughing ridiculously. Especially the one about terrorizing someone with your tool? That's crazy funny.
    All I need is a frickin lava lamp, and it's only a matter of time.
    The aspiration to not exist - I still naively cling to the idea that the aspiration to exist is tightly intertwined with the existence of those others in the world who care about you. This pulls me out of plenty of shitty days.
    You use the term abnegate plenty in this posting - abnegate means denial (www.m-w.com tells me so) - does this mean you have a doppleganger?
    - ghost

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're up late, ghost, I'm assuming imagining a technicolor glow of unspecific origins, willing perhaps? a lavalamp-like glow being cast upon your far wall. But I'm glad you enjoyed the humor in the first sections.

    Yes, yes, I used "abnegate" quite a bit in the post, and I would like to say it was a reference to it's similar thought "renounce" or "renunciation" (depending on the form), but honestly I think I just got hooked on the word. Because it is quite fun (test it out, it's a blast to say).

    I like your idea regarding "the aspiration to exist" (can it be called an aspiration if we do?). This was actually one of the larger themes in Bellow's Herzog mentioned previously, and it seems without completely denying the eastern idea of Nirvana (or, again, the blowing out of the identity, the self), this is a healthy way to be in the world.

    I have not seen yet American Horror Story. Is that the one starring Mrs. Coach and written by some people from Glee? If so, that's frightening by itself.

    And no, contrary to popular belief, I do not have a doppelganger. But apparently I make a great Zen koan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are up late, too.
    Nice visuals.
    Are you still in graveyard?
    How about "acceptance of existing"? The aspiration to exist, it can work depending upon the definition of exist. It would need to be more than the basic physical functions supporting existence such as breathing, consuming new fuel, getting rid of spent fuel. It must be more if existing is integrally driven by the existence of others who care, and I believe it is.
    Healthy is a way to be that can't be taken for granted, as one cannot take for granted that there will always be clean underwear in the drawer or clean silverware to use - it requires regular attention. I guess one can argue about using plastic plates and disposable utensils, but sheesh that's lazy, come on (GOB).
    You should check it out, American Horror Story. The pilot was last week, catch it before this Wednesday if you can. I'd like to know your thoughts on it. It is by one of the Glee creators, and I'd only watch Glee if it was required for my job.
    Yes, horrifying and wrong, which is great in a world too bloated with generic lawyer/hospital/family/crime/computer dramas. Unless it's in fact Glee.

    Well, you are a Pisces.

    - ghost

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is dangerous, dangerous territory, ghost, as to the definition of existence. And of course it absolutely tickled my baser metaphysical double-goer. Because of that, I will refrain: there's nothing quite as bad for traffic as a full-on philosophical argument involving unmentionables. Although equating underwear to overall health? Very nice.

    And I can practically envision the pitch meeting for your as-yet-to-be-scripted multi-slashed pilot:

    "So there's this lawyer, right? He leaves his white-shoe law firm in midtown to go work at a hospital, which causes he and his wife to separate. She's a cop.

    "Don't worry, he's not an ambulance chaser. They don't test well.

    "Anyway, because of all the heartache witnessed on a daily basis he develops a drug habit - maybe he walks with a cane? No, we'll nix the cane. Too derivative. Well, he runs afoul of the mob, which brings him and his wife together as he tries to untangle the mess of his life.

    "It's a love story, a procedural, a crime story. And then there's the twist: it's all shot in mockumentary format.

    "You love it, right? We already have Macguyver signed on for as the lead."

    Yes, ghost, absolutely perfect. And yes, ghost, absolutely graveyard. And yes, ghost, if I do watch AHS, I will definitely pass it along.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hah - dangerous territory.
    So have you watched it? Third episode tonight.
    You can watch past episodes through the AHS website, if that's your preference.

    - ghost

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ghost, ghost, ghost. So among the many exploits this Thanksgiving weekend (Keurig coffee, the occasional firearms cramp, a spot of football), I also ended up, having access to TV, actually being able to watch it. And I'm torn on AHS.

    On the one hand, it's got some decent things going on with the use of camera work, etc., but I thought it was encumbered by the weight of all the other horror film homages. This was in the second episode. Then I watched some more of it this weekend, and not bad. I might check out some more, but it's not high on my list right now, and I don't have a TV.

    As for it being Lynchian...not sure. I still think the show that was getting closest in recent memory was Life on Mars, but then it got canceled and silly. The U.S. version, I mean (I have not yet watched the British original). What a shame. On all counts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Agreed, Geof. I thought there were some Lynch-like aspects, but they got washed away toward the end of the season. I will say the end of the season was rather disappointing. Tooo touchy feely. Of course there were people out there comparing the whole thing to Lost, and they all need a good, resounding Boot-To-The-Head. Nothing should be compared to Lost, err maybe Glee can, because I have no love for Glee.

    Well fuckall Geof. Keurig?? You aren't making coffee the old fashioned way in a drip machine and then you can eat the grounds afterward? With a spoon from the little bowl-like insert in the top, almost as if it was made that way for people like us? I don't mean to leave anyone out, I'm sure I'm not the only one here who has done it. Pretty effective right? Chewy, a little bitter, full of fiber.

    I liked AHS because it was kind of a hot mess and I refused to think about it too much. Some people I know tried to go there but I threw up the hands and said no! No no not thinking about it, just throwing up my hands and enjoying the ride. When i think too much about any TV shows I get angry, maybe it's a problem, they just disappoint me deeply.

    I am feeling stuporous. (-feeling) Yay Friday.
    Are you still graveyard?

    - ghost

    ReplyDelete
  8. Still graveyard, ghost. I think it's killing my ability to be coherent. To break it down, feeling transposed, +infinitely, minus the minus on "feeling." And I might be under-evaluating the minus portion of that.

    But shame on you, for blasting Keurig. It's the number one product in coffee in the world, and isn't popularity the greatest showing of quality? Damned again to the Kardashians?

    ReplyDelete