Wednesday, August 17, 2011

beach battle imbroglio

I'm writing tonight, so forgive anything that might happen, as this is happenstance from calling out (again) from work and essentially fearing to co-exist. I will also warn you, I'm sitting around, snipping my rollies and marveling at the shapes that I can make with the smoke.

Basically, be ready for the "Notes from the Field" post that this is:

  1. Rick Perry. A blast. I mean, can the guy be more of a caricature of all the things men do to try to convince people they're not gay? (Granted, that also works for Mitt Romney.) I will not be voting for him - either of them - should they get elected. But fuck. Perry couldn't be any gayer were he to walk around with an electrified butt plug and pink-feather in his cowboy hat. I think he would. Maybe he does.
  2. Why do we still pretend that 'summer reading' is actual reading? I mean make no mistake, reading is itself a decadent act. But the idea that I read some shlocky bullshit regarding times of strife or crime or endearment (oh, why can't you love me?!) and that means I read, period, is junk. Reading is decadent. It's not for betterment, it's just junk and anger and really not a lot of time spent doing something else. Summer readers would be better served by drinking. Because that's what the reader is probably best served by doing. At least then it's actually decadence
  3. I've become enamored by kitchen comedies. Whites. Kitchen Confidential, in particular. With what I do I liken it to a kitchen. Customers produce the ingredients, we try to shape it into a palate-able dish, and we do so in ten minutes per malleable ingredient. This would probably be a good idea for a pop-up. I know it's been done with drinks.
  4. And finally, because you're bored and we all want it (and I needed to make this unsafe for work somehow):

3 comments:

  1. Man, there's a great deal of burning raging hostility toward books and reading. Ironic. Can't find a book worth your time? Tell me about it. Been serving that sentence for too many years to recount
    Nice political commentary, put a smile on this weary face. Now, just WTF Geoff, earthquake in DC?
    Just be safe and smart about this Irene stormer coming through, 'kay?
    And if I haven't said it before, dude, WTF smoking man. W-T-F-smoking.
    Reading, books - they're not the core problem. We know that.

    Stay safe and healthy, dammit.
    - ghost

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, Ghost, I think I've overstated my case. I have nothing against reading, just dislike summer books, as they've diversionary and often pap. I'm more nervous about a culture that only exists for entertainments that are only meant for adornment. Not that they can't exist in moderation, but ultimately I just like the idea of being pushed in some way the way good art does.

    Books I've read recently where I've gotten that? I had a huge Banville thing for awhile, and think Book of Evidence may be one of those odd, sort of Poe-esque numbers that really works well. The Sea is a good rec, also, but it was his first one I read and so I hadn't quite figured out his rhythms.

    Another one: Hilary Mantel's Beyond Black, which, although a discombobulated mess, was still quite engaging on several levels and hummed along like it should have been a beach read.

    But the best read I've had in the last few years? Probably Herzog. Definitely read Herzog.

    My one hope for the DC earthquake is that it will bring back that wicked scaffolding to the Washington Monument. One can dream and hope.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah.
    Thank you for your book ideas and suggestions. I'm always interested in ideas, always. I'll give anything a shot, and see where it places me. Within reason. If an idea places me in a very undesirable place, well of course.
    Clearer, thank you for the ideas. I have such a love-hate relationship with books in general.
    They're propelling off the Monument, don't you know?
    - ghost

    ReplyDelete