Monday, January 17, 2011

And thus starts the new year

Another digest post. Click off now or forever hold your peace.
  • Friday night, first the Brooklyneer, where, despite the guy in the "I'm trying to sell Sailor Jerry or at least introduce the world to the greater benefits of Don Ho and mayonnaise-laced teriyaki" shirt, the bar seemed okay. Actually, pretty decent, all the way around. But remember, it's the West Village, where people drink for the scenery, not for the "Public House" idea of the public house.

  • Battleship Potemkin. In a phrase, lovely, dated, and I think it gave me ADD. And I cannot fault friend Daniel for bringing earplugs.

  • I'm realizing I'm taking this New Year to get re-obsessive. Basically, to rediscover love passion anger revolt that comes with having deep-seated feelings about any given thing (and I'm sorry, too many years in San Francisco will destroy that, trust me). And thanks to friend Hattie for turning me onto this: ramen. Now, in SF we had pho. Oh, did we have pho. Pho was another one of those situations that would create a (mildly) Balkanized state over food prejudices. Well, it worked there. Something about never having to walk through air saturated by sea salt helped it. But, right now it's ramen. Tonight, most likely, the first bit of this minor obsession: Minca. And if I start the day watching clips from Tampopo, there might be a problem.

  • By the way -- how cool is it to say that you closed a bar down by playing chess? Only me? I've been playing with that line the last few days, tasting it. It's not so bitter.

  • And finally, that clip from Tampopo:

Do not forget to apologize to the charshu.

6 comments:

  1. I usually do not crave ramen (sorry, sir -- I am indeed a San Franciscan in my love for pho), but that clip does it for me every time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, I would actually agree with you completely except for one thing: the charshu. Imagine a thick pork cut so slow-cooked and tender it essentially melts into the broth. Then add the subtlest flavor of citrus and wine.

    I'm convinced it's an aphrodisiac.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why do I get the feeling that most things are an aphrodisiac to you these days?

    (Maybe because I'm probably in the same boat.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pho Blo ;-). Vietnamese!Spring!Rolls! RIP Dennis Hopper.

    - ghost

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ghost -- you have way too much spirit for anybody I know, but you a fantastic link. For that alone, I applaud.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A fantastic link?
    You always were a joker. ;-)

    - ghost

    ReplyDelete