Tuesday, May 11, 2010

And where exactly is that warp zone to the springs of bikini-clad Iceland?

I've been trying to pin down the surrealism of the subway system here. I mean, the entire thing, apart from the seeming moebius strip quality to the layout, has always had a varying haphazard ramshackle setup to the stations. This plays nicely into fantasies. No, not those kind. What I'm referring to, and I'm sure it was part of the design intention, is the bizarre mosaics/installations that wend their way onto platforms, walls, walkups to platforms and walls, what have you. The entire thing is a video game. Like some mushroom-hazed and coked-out version of Mario Bros.

Case 1:


(Here, as you will see, is the entrance to the Sino-Egyptian section of Wario world).

Case 2:

(Somebody should tell Dig-Dug this is a job for a gardener/horticultural technician).

Case 3:

(So what did we tell you about pretending like you're frogger?)


Now. That's it. I'm on a bit of a dry spell right now. Excuse the calcium build-up on the brain. Oh yeah, and I'm running out of coffee. The world is topsy-turvy.

1 comment:

  1. Great. Now I'm going to have nightmares again of those creepy bronze dudes. I just got over the last series, too.

    I miss riding the NY subway.

    ReplyDelete