Monday, October 12, 2009

Monday morning one-off

I'm procrastinating getting ready for work, and so in doing I stumbled on this article in the NYtimes: "A Quest to Read a Book a Day for 365 Days." Okay, so this is admirable: basically, this woman has decided to read a book every day for a year. I'm cool with that, to a point. But really, browsing her blog (Read All Day), her assessments are largely superficial. How many book are "beautiful," "wonderful," "one of the best"? Really, while I appreciate what this is, the act of reading, reading a piece of art should elicit a response beyond just the "hey, look, I'm reading."

Now, my father used to read quite a bit as well. Mack Bolan, Marcinko, the occasional Ludlum. Which is fine also, but nobody is going to equate this to reading of depth. These are novels designed for consumption, serving much the same purpose as a big loud explosiony hollywood blockbuster, and should be considered as such. What's my point here? Basically, reading a lot can dangerously lead to treating all books as crap.

To my avid readers out there, take stock. I'm talking (somewhat) to you. Not to complain, but mainly to say that there's more to a novel that sheer rampant consumption is not going to help. It's like physics: every action has its consequences. Reading is still a slow activity, that's where it gets its power. Reading fast is just wasting time.

Hmmm...this post felt like a waste of time. I'll revise it when I think of a point later.

3 comments:

  1. I agree. I read this article on the train this morning and I was really irritated. First of all, nice privileged life she has to be able to do this. And even if she can squeeze in some books of substance, she can't be spending any time actually thinking about them. And then there's this: "Peter, her 16-year-old, is reading Pynchon; the 14-year-old, Michael, reads Ayn Rand and political screeds like those by Al Franken; and asked what kind of books he likes to read, George, the 11-year-old, replied, 'Long books.'" What an annoying family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I concur sir. What are u reading now? I am reading non fiction book "Captain Sir richard francis burton" a bio. so far so good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As for the long books, it's nice to see an eleven year old has managed to squeeze past coloring books in this day and age. Although one wonders what exactly the 16-year-old is getting from the likes of Pynchon (besides just drawing a line down the page connecting all the o's).

    I'm not saying it isn't possible for children to be absolutely precocious readers -- the halls of literature and great writers are filled with them -- but given the mother's penchant for superficial reviews, I doubt we'll be seeing the great american novel from Peter anytime soon.

    And I'm currently reading "Book of Evidence" by John Banville, as I'm still a fiction nut. And I've got to say, it's an odd one that's riffing off of the tell-tale heart from Poe. Considering the author is still alive, very interesting choice.

    ReplyDelete